bunt sign

Sunday, November 26, 2000

We were up and on the road by 9:30 this morning. It's amazing how efficient we can be when there's a goal. Everything was packed or stowed or otherwise accounted for almost before I crawled out of my sleeping bag. In fact, I'm pretty sure most of it was done before that, because I saw the sky going by out the window when I woke up.

It was another gray, cloudy day, but we were lucky there was no severe weather during our four days at the lake. This time of year, or maybe a little later, the wind has been known to blow hard enough to force us out of bed in the middle of the night so that the ropes could be re-tied.

It seemed like a long drive home, but then I was tired and possibly the tiniest bit hung over. I wasn't in bad enough shape to pass up lunch at Granzella's in Williams, though, where I indulged myself in a chili burger. Thus everything digestively interesting that follows over the next few days can be tossed at my doorstep like the soggy morning Chronicle.

We were back in Santa Rosa by 3:30, and after goodbyes and hugs, and packing up my car with Mom's stuff and mine, I turned the key in the ignition and was greeted with deathly silence. It's a fairly new battery, so I suspected some other problem, but I had no idea what it could be. Back into the house to sigh and plead for assistance. (This is another good thing about being part of a family.)

I did have lots of help, even though it was no help. After it became obvious that I wasn't going to move, Eric drove Mom home before taking off himself. He drove the van all the way from the lake, and he still had another hour's drive or so to get back to his house.

John and David tried to jump start my car, but nothing was working, so I called the auto club. The guy from the club couldn't start it, either, but he messed around under the hood and found a fuse that had blown. David helped me get a replacement, and after he put it in for me, all suddenly seemed right with the world. The engine roared to life, and I was on my way home at last.

Tired, yes. Ready for a shower and an early night. But more than satisfied with the way things went this weekend. I wouldn't trade these experiences for anything, even with the occasional bump in the road.

previousbunt signemailnext

Latest recommendation:

Congratulations to Aimee on her journal's first anniversary.

Other recent recommendations can be found on the links page.
Subscribe to the notify list.