bunt sign

Saturday, December 13, 2003

While most of the family is spending the weekend on the lake, Mom and I are left behind with the cats. (Okay, we chose to stay behind with the cats, for various reasons that seemed valid at the time.)

Mom has the harder assignment. She has to rub medicine on Missy's ears twice a day, but at least Suzanne's house is right around the corner from hers, so she doesn't have go very far. And Missy is a loving cat who isn't hard to deal with (although I admit I've never tried to mess with her ears).

All I had to do was go to Tammy and David's once, this evening, to fill up Sammy's food and water bowls. Unfortunately, that meant I had to travel through the Corridor of Stupidity between Santa Rosa and Rohnert Park. As soon as I pulled onto Stony Point Road, the traffic was backed up. It wasn't that there were a lot of cars, but that one idiot was holding everybody up.

The rules of road courtesy must have changed since I learned to drive many decades ago. It used to be that if you were holding up a line ten or twelve cars long, you'd pull over and let them pass. In fact, three was the magic number in those days. Of course, there were a lot fewer freeways then. More people drove on two-lane roads, so they were sensitive to the problem. Now, nobody knows or cares, apparently.

Eventually the blue panel truck that was causing us all to creep along below the speed limit turned off to inflict himself on other drivers on another road, and the rest of us started moving. It only took me about twice as long as usual to get to their house, and then I had to get in before Sammy could get out. I used my roaring lion voice to keep him back from the door. He flinched but didn't cower. Sammy isn't afraid of much.

Oh, but wasn't he glad to see me! The purring could have set off a car alarm. It didn't last long before he got bored, though. I was prepared to stay for a while, if he wanted me to, but he didn't seem to care all that much. He wasn't even interested in the food, although both of his bowls were empty when I got there.

13 December 2003


So I managed to do some driving on the second Saturday before Christmas without doing any shopping. It was treacherous on the way back, because I foolishly decided to go through Rohnert Park rather than taking the long, safer way around. I was cut off so violently on the Expressway that I had to slam on the brakes. People were changing lanes haphazardly, so I eased off the gas and just watched until I saw my opening.

I'm happy to say I made it home safely. I'm even happier to say I'm staying home all day tomorrow.

previousbunt signemailnext


Now you can listen to the same thing I'm listening to, at least on Saturday afternoons. KRCB-FM now has streaming audio, which means that between 1:00 pm and 5:00 pm today, the whole world could have heard Our Roots Are Showing right along with me. (I guess. I have no idea if it actually works that way.)

That's 1:00 and 5:00 Pacific Time. I don't know what time it is where you live.

Recent recommendations can always be found on the links page.

One year ago: Enough
"Thank you, sun, for the billions of years of heat and light. I was sorry to hear you'd gone away forever."

Subscribe to the notify list to be advised when this site is updated.