bunt sign

Saturday, April 14, 2001

I had to explain to the Boss yesterday morning why it took me six rings to answer the phone.

I told him I'd been in the bathroom (which was true). I didn't tell him I was in the shower and was now dripping all over the white carpet by my desk. (Which was also true.)

The cordless phone that I rely on to keep me from getting caught in these minor indiscretions failed me. I wouldn't have taken the chance, except that I thought the new battery I put in it had solved the problem. I'd charged it overnight and then some, so I thought I could put it on a stool next to the shower, and answer it if it rang (hoping it wouldn't, of course).

When it rang I had to turn off the water and wipe the soap out of my eyes before reaching out and grabbing the phone. I knew I was in trouble as soon as I pushed the Talk button, because it kept ringing in the other room. I tried to dry off before venturing out into the living room, but once I got out there and answered the other phone, all I could do was stand there and drip.

There was no reason for the Boss to know, but it wouldn't have mattered. I don't mind taking a shower on company time, as long as he doesn't mind asking me to work at his convenience, since that often includes evenings and weekends.

Later, as I was getting ready to go out on my errands, he called again, to ask me to stay and type a letter he was about to fax me. I didn't get out of the house until almost noon, and by that time the Friday traffic (the Good Friday traffic, I guess) was monstrously tangled. It was hard to get as far as the post office, and I almost decided to come straight home.

But I forced myself to get back on Stony Point Road and cross the freeway to Best Buy. I tried to hypnotize myself into accepting that there would be a lot of cars, including many people who didn't know where they were going or how to get there. Lots of idiots, all in front of me, and maniacs, all behind me. It was up to me to accept them as inevitable and not let them get to me.

So now I have a new cordless phone, all charged up and ready for next Monday morning's shower. I took it upstairs today when I went up there to read, and outside when I went out there to weed.

It felt like getting my freedom back. I don't know how I ever got along without one, and I wouldn't want to have to try since moving here to the country. There are just too many distractions, too many reasons to wander. I'm out watching the birds or checking on the garden several times a day.

At other jobs, when I worked in shops or offices, I've sometimes sat in my car with a book during lunches and break times. Working at home has given me a lot more flexibility, but I still don't want to be tied up for eight hours at a time. What's the use of being unsupervised and unobserved if I can't enjoy the scenery that surrounds me?

I give up the social interaction of an ordinary workplace for the freedom to set my own limits. It's just harder without a cordless phone.

iris in the tall grass

The limited capacity of my yard waste container keeps me from overdoing the gardening bit. I filled it halfway today, and by that time I was ready to quit anyway. Once I get into better shape, I might have to bag some of the weeds and cuttings, just because there's so much to do out there. I could work an eight-hour day in the yard and not make much of a dent.

Well, that's not quite true. There's no way I could work an eight-hour day out there. I was huffing and puffing after twenty minutes today, but the progress I made did make me feel good. And it served the added purpose of contributing to my exercise regimen.

If it had been warmer I might have gone out for a second tour, after I rested up. Instead, I'll have to try again tomorrow.

previousbunt signemailnext

Recent recommendations can be found on the links page.
Subscribe to the list to be notified of updates.